Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Edward Curtis

Edward Curtis was a photographer who photographed Native Americans and the west in the 1900s. A lot of his work seems to be portraits in sepia tones or black and white of Native Americans- some children, some elderly, but mainly women. Some of them have typical western elements like horses or tepees, and some of the Native Americans wear headdresses.
   These images are portraits of Native Americans. Usually portraits are not my favorite, but I can appreciate are even if I don't particularly like it. In the image of the elderly woman on the left, I find her face to be very interesting- the age of her skin and the shape of her features- and I think that he captured her well.




The image on the left of the child is really interesting to me. She seems to be either sad, or mad and you can see the emotion in her eyes and in the way that her eyebrows are crinkled. The braids in the front of her hair add an interesting texture and her part in her hair almost forms a leading line down to her face.   

No comments:

Post a Comment